© Parkgate Society 2019
About Parkgate > Parkgate Heritage Trail > Old Quay
A pub of many names!
An Inn called the "Beer House" was shown here on a map of 1686, though its origin was probably much earlier. At times it was also known as the Ferry House, and the Pengwern Arms, before it was demolished around 1885, following severe storm damage a few years earlier.
The present structure (built in 1926) began as the Boathouse Café at a time when the nearby baths were flourishing.
It is now a pub/restaurant, having been progressively modified and enlarged over the years; the modern conservatory dining area enables patrons to watch the wildlife on the marshes while they enjoy their meals in comfort.
Good Anchorage, are you sure?
In this picture (circa 1930), a high tide and stormy conditions give a soaking to an unwary pedestrian.
There was a good deep anchorage just offshore from the Boathouse, where in early days larger vessels could lay over and crews seek refreshment at the Beer House.
A ferry service to Bagillt and Flint operated from here between 1814 and 1864. In that year the ferry service ended in disaster when Thomas Johnson, landlord of the Pengwern Arms (as it was then called), and his brother Joseph both died when attempting a landing in a heavy swell.
The Pengwern Arms was a coaching inn, and from here transport could be arranged for onward transit for Liverpool.
Last Updated February 2019