Black and White buildings
In this picture local fishermen's wives are transporting by donkey sacks of locally caught shellfish, possibly to the station or perhaps to Neston. Note the total lack of vehicular traffic at this spot at this early date.
The imposing black & white frontage of the former Mostyn House School, built in 1895, still dominates this section of The Parade. The original 18th century building, at its core, was formerly known as the Mostyn Arms (and previously the George Inn); it was from here that stage coaches once departed for Chester. When its proprietor Mrs Esther Briscoe died in 1855, there was no market for the building as a hotel, and it then became a school.
The Revd Edward Price transferred his pupils here from Tarvin, and in 1862 he passed on the business to his nephew Revd AS Grenfell.
It is an interesting fact that Thomas Brassey (1805-70), the famous civil engineer and railway contractor, was the owner of the freehold of these premises from 1849 until his death in 1870. The Grenfell family were then able to purchase the freehold, and the premises were enlarged progressively by generations of the family over the subsequent years, allowing them to expand the school considerably over the next century.