A pub for over 100 years
From 1793 to 1905 (over 100 years) Sawyer’s Cottage was a public house known as Sawyer’s Arms. It was named after the occupation of the first publican, Richard Bartley, a sawyer and carpenter.
It is thought that Bartley was a ship’s carpenter and that ships may have been constructed on the shore before the wall was built. This may be the reason for the orientation of Dee cottages. The granting of a licence to these premises coincides with the closure of the ship-building business and may have been a consequence of that event.
This early picture shows the Sawyer’s Arms as a public house with details above the door and three beer barrels in front of the window, where the proprietor appears to be standing.
The building has been the subject of major rebuilding and restoration since this early photo was taken, but the general character of the house has been retained.