Balcony House (shown on the left) was built as two houses in about 1750 with entry to each by way of a flight of nine steps, thus keeping the ground floor well above any possible tidal flood level; other houses on The Parade also have this feature. The elegant balcony which gives the building its name was added in 1868.
To the right of Balcony House is South Cottage, now known as the "Little Tea House"; this building remains largely unchanged from this picture.
The next building with the 3 dormer windows is called Parade House; this is currently occupied by "Britannia Spice" and "Parkgate Homemade Ice Cream Shop".
The lighter building on the far right of the picture is Dee House; this was demolished to make way for the art deco "Nicholls Famous Ice Cream" parlour, which was built here in 1936.
This more recent photograph of Balcony House shows that it has changed little from the picture above.
The two-storey building behind Balcony House is known as "The Old Assembly Rooms"; it was the centre of social life in the village, where dances were held and people could meet for special events or to play games, including billiards. It was also where people could meet and drink beer whilst waiting for their boat.