About Parkgate > Parkgate Heritage Trail > Station
The Station & Pill Box
The above picture, taken in 1905, from a position close to the Pill Box, looks north across the former bridge over Station Road towards the former Parkgate station. A troop of gunners (4th Lancashire RGA) are making their way on horseback from their camp on Parks Field with their gun carriages and artillery, probably going to firing practice on the North Parade. Though the railway has long gone, the entrance to Parks Field and the gates to the former station remain in the same location.
Halt who goes there?
In the grounds of the original station is an old pill box, a remnant from the 2nd World War. It was built in 1940 to protect the former railway bridge, which then spanned Station Road, and to halt any enemy advance, should the Germans drop paratroopers on the Dee sands.
Having lain derelict for many years, the former pill box has now been converted into a wildlife haven for bats.
Very little evidence of the old railway can be found here now, except for the former station master’s house, substantially renovated in 2012, still standing by the entrance to the car park.
This picture, looking towards Neston, shows the second Parkgate Station, which opened in 1886, when the line was extended from here to West Kirby. It seems to have been taken in the summer, as a trio of soldiers appear to be for the arrival of comrades for the annual summer camp.
There was a previous station located on what is now the Rope Walk car park (on the South side of Station Road). When the new station was built, that area became a goods yard which regularly stocked traffic to/from Neston colliery.
This site is now part of the Wirral Way Country Park. From here you can ride, walk or cycle on the Wirral Way as far as West Kirby in one direction and to Hooton railway station in the other. The total distance is 12 miles. What evidence of the railway can be seen here today?