© Parkgate Society 2020
About Parkgate > Parkgate History (3)
15. THE RAILWAY
The railway first came to Parkgate in 1866, when a branch of the Birkenhead Railway (Chester to Birkenhead) was opened from Hooton to a terminus situated on the south side of Station Road (where the Ropewalk car park now is). This line provided passenger connections to Liverpool and Chester. It was also used as an outlet for local products, particularly the coal mined at Neston colliery, which opened soon afterwards and was served by a local branch from the Parkgate end. Twenty years later, in 1886, the line was extended along the coast to West Kirby, and a new through-station was built at Parkgate on the new alignment on the north side of Station Road.
In the years before the Great War, Parkgate was host to various regiments of territorial soldiers who visited each year for their annual summer camp. To the right we see a crowd of local folk who have turned out to watch the arrival of these part-time volunteers as they march from the station to set up their camp in Parks Field.
Last Updated November 2019